[3830] NAQP CW N8XX Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N8XX Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 23:14:28 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 6

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   75    33
   20:  100    30
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  175    63  Total Score = 11,025

Club: QRP AMATEUR RADIO CLUB INTERNATIONL

Team: AT-Sprinters #2

Comments:

Use an AT-Sprint (original version, circa 2003) @ 3 watts.  This rig fits inside
an ALTOIDS tin, covers 40/30/20 meters. Powered by 8 AA Nickle Metal Hydride
(NiMH)cells.  Worked much better in this contest than I expected - it has a
pair of NE-602's for the first mixer and Product Detector, so IMD performance
isn't to current "contest grade" standards for the receiver.  Six of us formed
two teams of "AT-Sprinters," using any one several of the rigs designed by
Steven Weber, KD1JV, primarily for back pack type hiking where weight is very
important.

"Why use such simple rigs in a contest?" you may ask.  I say, "Just for the
fish (Halibut), and to show that simple doesn't mean poor performance.

But, conditions were better than in recent past, because it seemed that, on 20
meters at least, if a station was "fairly loud" into the receiver, the operator
could hear the pipsquoke signal from the AT-Sprint rig.  Thanks to all who dug
down deep into the noise level!