[3830] ARRL UHF N1PRW Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL UHF N1PRW Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:42:52 -0700
                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.25

  222:   1     1
  432:   2     1
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:   3     2  Total Score = 18

Club:

Comments:

An experiment in making a QRP SSB contest station fit on a bicycle.

Portable QRP operation from Holt Hill, elevation 420', in Andover,
Massachusetts on Saturday afternoon. Weather was hot, muggy and unstable.

Station Equipment:
- Yaesu FT-817ND
- Cushcraft 3-element 450 MHz Yagi antenna (re-tuned for 432)
- Icom IC-3AT
- Music stand as antenna support tripod
- 12V gel-cell battery

Power: 5 Watts

I decided at the last-minute to combine cycling with ham radio contesting. The
implementation of this was a success. The effort was a failure due to severe
weather.

Wanted to test my local hilltop for viability in VHF contesting. I've operated
from this site many times over the years but never with SSB gear. The site has
some good qualities, is located in a park nearby to the home QTH, but is
trail-accessible only. My hope was to use the UHF contest as a test before the
September VHF.

Unfortunately, within 15 minutes of setup, severe T-storms approached and I was
forced to pack up and cycle home. The T-storms stayed in the area until after
dark Saturday. Other obligations Sunday prevented me from finishing the
contest.

I was unable to evaluate this site for contesting use, and could not test my
re-tuned Yagi.

73, Alex N1PRW

Photos of the station equipment and of Holt Hill:
http://shawsheen.com/2012/arrluhfaug/