[3830] WAE CW W6XR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW W6XR Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:02:37 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: W6XR
Operator(s): W6XR
Station: W6XR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   21     0    40
   40:  108   121    78
   20:  230   206    70
   15:  304   335    68
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  663   662   256  Total Score = 339,200

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I believe WriteLog had some problems scoring this one, although it worked
perfectly in prior contests not using the present revision level. Without a
doubt, the WAE CW is my favorite contest of all time.  The QTC in this contest
really pulls it all together and adds the need for good technique operating CW.
 The preset messages only help so much and you must really enjoy the mode to do
well and not look and sound like an idiot at times.

Propagation was good considering we were dodging severe thunder storms and my
antennas resides at the very top of the tower.  Therefore, I get my share of
static and I live in fear of yet another lightning strike when T-storms are
around.  10 meters was nothing but static whenever I looked for QSO's but it's
not uncommon to loose the path when you live west of the Hudson river.  Used to
have the same problem operating at W2PV in the 70's, so I didn't feel so bad.

This WAE will be my last East coast entry as I'm moving to my second attempt at
building a real retirement station.  This time I'll be near Angels Camp,
California and I'm certainly looking forward to trading the snowless winters of
the Sierra Foothills for the abominable snow, ice and sub zero temperature in
upstate NY.  The advantage of having an easy path into Europe will be missed
too, but it's a fair trade!

The folks who sponsor and are behind the scene at WAE Central are to be
congratulated for doing a superb job of marketing the contest.  The beautiful
wooden plaques are really nice and even if it's only a certificate of operation
awarded  in the contest, it's only first class.  Thanks to all who helped
putting the most enjoyable, most unique and the best run contest we have to
play in every year.

It has been a ball, but grand kids win the tug of war and its back home to
California.  Finally, this was yet another shake-down for the loaded K3 by
Elecraft which was driving my 8410 by Alpha.  The K3 is a wonder of technology
when you put in the time to learn all its capabilities.  Using the optional
filters really provides a better chance of digging out a weak signal under tons
of QRM and QRN.  The second k3 will look good at the new station.  Thanks to all
who participated in the contest and worked me during that enterprise.  I
apologize to all who found me crowding them, but it's so easy to be an author
of QRM when you don't hear anything off the sides of the filter.  No battles
ensued on any band for me which was a nice thing for my last try at the WAE
from the east coast.  73's to all and I hope you enjoyed the 80 meter
happenings on the band.  Only could stay on 80 a short time, but the 1/4 wave
vertical did very well again.  Simplicity can put out a good signal!

Natan W6XR, ex WA1KID
Freeville, NY

W6XR is a K3 and Alpha 8410 on a 1 acre lot.  The tower is a 89' crank up.
Antennas are:

160    Inverted L at 100'
80     1/4 wave vertical over 100 130' radials and a vertical full wave loop
40     F12, 240N
20 15 10 is a C31XR around 100'
160, 80, and 40 meter Pennant array that's switchable for the best direction
for RX only