[3830] WAE CW N3RD(@N3RS) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3rd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW N3RD(@N3RS) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:07:10 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N3RD
Operator(s): N3RD, N3RS, NW2Q
Station: N3RS

Class: M/S HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:  164         132
   40:  411         120
   20:  854          98
   15:  738          94
   10:   98          50
-------------------------
Total: 2265  2260   494  Total Score = 2,553,068

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

If there is a serious multi-single operation from New England in this contest,
they are the ones to beat.  Krassy K1LZâ??s fine station and operating team
provided that goal for our team in southeastern PA, about 1 propagation skip
farther away from Europe than New England.

It seems that we normally get off to a good start, and this year was our best
start ever.  At 08Z the first night we were about 200 QSOs ahead of our
previous best, and we had great hopes for a large score, and a possible repeat
win.  That definitely kept us motivated.

We were affected on the first night on the low bands by the large weather front
that had passed through our area at 22Z before the contest started, but luckily
the beverage antenna allowed copy of all but the weakest stations.  The
beneficial solar indices provided very good overnight propagation on 20m.  15m
opened early and with a bang for a rare 111 hour.  It is very unusual for us to
have any hours over 100 in this contest after the first hour or two.

15m was the daytime workhorse, but we kept a close watch on 10m.  There was a
good one hour opening at 20Z on Saturday, but that was the best the weekend had
to offer.  Sundayâ??s openings were spotty and short.  The good Sunday opening
reported by the New Englanders did not materialize here.

QTC strategy is always a fun part of this contest.  We did as we normally do,
and did not get serious about QTCs until Saturday afternoon.  Unfortunately,
conditions were not as good the second overnight on 20m, where we had hoped to
catch up on QTCs, and we found very few QTC requests on Sunday.  We started
asking all callers to take QTCs, with disappointing results.  Many thanks to
the N1MM programming team for the new QTC-sensitive color scheme in the band
map, which clearly indicates those stations who have been worked but have not
yet taken any QTCs.  We were down 300 QTCs at 21Z, and took time off from
running to cruise the bandmap and offer QTCs to those stations.  This process
worked extremely well, and by 23Z all backlogged QTCs had been sent.

At the end, we came up short of our goal for a repeat win, and we congratulate
K1LZ and his team for a super score.  Well done, guys.

Incidentally, our serial number is only a general indication of the number of
QSOs.  We work/log dupes, and with four logging computers set up, there are the
inevitable serial numbers that are reserved but never sent.  Maybe next year
weâ??ll report on GetScores.

It was also great to have Sergey NW2Q join us for this one.

Thanks to DARC for organizing one of the most fun to operate contests, with its
unique QTC feature.  Participation is high, and the quality of the operators is
superb.  We certainly enjoy this contest immensely.

73 - Dave N3RD