[3830] NAQP SSB K6CSL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6csl@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K6CSL Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 02:29:49 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K6CSL
Operator(s): K6CSL
Station: K6CSL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA/SJV
Operating Time (hrs): 10:00

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:  13      7
   20:  24     16
   15:   7      7
   10:   1      1
-------------------
Total:  45     31  Total Score = 1,395

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #2

Comments:

First, due to some domestic necessities I didn't get to the chair until 19:00Z.
I tried my usual plan of starting on 10 and found it dead. I then went to 15,
hoping it would be open, and found it dead as well. It sounded as if there had
been a serious solar flare. Checking Solar Ham revealed there had been an M5.5
flare and subsequent CME earlier in the day. The CME was described as having
been not directed toward earth. Listening to the bands it certainly sounded
like a solar storm was in progress. I moved to 20m and began to start making
some Q's, but it was very clear that the band was very noisy and not at all
what I expected or needed.
I found that I was able to work only the loudest stations on the band. I was
obviously not hearing much of what was there. I worked 1 ME station, followed
by TX, IL, MO, KS, AR, GA, MN, CT and OK. At 21:45Z I moved to 15m and found it
marginally open, to mostly the same places I had worked on 20m. I did run across

Kent, KH6CJJ, which encouraged me to move to 10m at at 23:35Z. On 10m I
immediately found KH6CJJ. He told me that he had been on 10m "for a few
minutes" and I was only the 2nd stationb that called him. He said he told me
that he checked the beacons on 10m and was hearing several from different
areas. He suspected that few if any ops were checking 10 to find if it was
open. I failed to find any other stations on 10 and KH6CJJ was the only contact
I made on 10. I tuned thrugh the beacon band(28200-28300) and the only beacons I
heard were the local K6FRC Beacons at Sonora and Manteca,CA. I briefly checked
40m, working Bob, K7LY in AZ, and finding no one else there, so I returned to
20. 20m was still very noisy, but I stayed there until 03:35Z when I moved back
to 40m at 03:30Z. I stayed on 40, it was very noisy with static crashes. I
stayed on 40 until my clock ran out at 05:02Z. My score is 24% below last years
August NAQP SSB. I had certainly gone into this hoping for much better. We sure
didn't seem to be blessed with very good conditions for this one. Bert, K6CSL