[3830] OhQP K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:53:05 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Fairfield County
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   86     87
   40:  142    279
   20:   77     53
   15:    0      0
   10:    1      0
--------------------
Total:  306    419  CW Mults = 97  Ph Mults = 120  Total Score = 223,727

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The raw score does not include the "DX" multiplier.

I tried to set up for an SO2R operation, which I usually do with two
instances of Writelog networked together.  However, just before the
contest I upgraded to Writelog v11, hoping to see the new DX
multiplier.  Writelog did not include the new multiplier, which is
probably because no one maintains the OQP plug-in.  Also, 2 instances
of Writelog can no longer talk to each other because of some strange
error message about incompatibilities between "local exchange columns".
So, no SO2R.

I put up the NVIS dipole for 80 meters about 20 feet above the ground
in the middle.  However, most of the activity was on 40 meters, even
more so than last year.  It didn't take long for my full-sized
ground-mounted 40 meter vertical to show its DX properties (or lack of
NVIS capabilities).  So I moved the 80 meter NVIS dipole from the
useless second radio to the main station radio and tuned it up with
the antenna tuner.  That change made an significant difference.

I looked on 10 meters at the appointed time (top of the even GMT hour)
once just to see what was going on.  The band was dead except for KV8Q
who was my one and only 10 meter QSO, and I never got around to
checking 15 meters.

Finally, I discovered that there is another "mode", which makes use of
this "microphone" and a lot of squawking.  I made a lot of contacts on
SSB, more that on CW, which only happens in phone-only contest.  I was
harassed once on 75 by some clod who insisted I was operating in the
"DX window".  While I normally try to avoid feeding the trolls, I did
tell him that I was willing to work DX.  Trolls and other
malcontents are one big reason why I don't like phone.

Many thanks to the mobiles for making the contest more interesting.  I
worked:

K8MR in CARR, NOBL, PICK, TUSC, UNIO, and VINT
K8RYU in PIKE, SCIO, GALL, JACK, and LAWR
K9TM in MADI, MEDI, MIAM, MORR, SUMM, WARR, WILL, and WOOD
W8O in ALLE, SENE, DEFI, FULT, HENR, LUCA, OTTA, PAUL, SAND, and WILL
W9MSE in DELA, HARD, ASHL, RICH, and STAR

I missed AUGL, BELM, HARR, KNOX, LOGA, MONR, ROSS and VT, and a bunch
of provinces.

I wonder if a "standby mobile" could be dispatched to the appropriate
counties near the end of the contest.  There would need to be some
sort of "most needed" counties list, which shouldn't be available
until after the first 2/3s of the contest.  Maybe the whole idea isn't
very practical.  Maybe I should operate for 8 hours, and then jump in
the car and drive to the closest country I've haven't worked.  In my
case this year that would be Ross county.  Just a thought.

Equipment: K3, ETO 91B (thanks, Jeff!), 20: X7 up 60 feet; 40: low 80m
dipole in the day and quarter wave vertical at night; 80: low 80m
dipole in the day and "cage" vertical at night.