[3830] CQ WW RTTY LZ9R(LZ3YY) SOSB(A)/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY LZ9R(LZ3YY) SOSB(A)/40 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 03:53:55 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: LZ9R
Operator(s): LZ3YY
Station: LZ3YY

Class: SOSB(A)/40 LP
QTH: nr.Aitos
Operating Time (hrs): 26

   80:
   40:  743  1621      29      68    19
   20:
   15:
   10:
Total:  743  1621      29      68    19  Total Score = 188,036

Club:

Comments:

TS850SAT
2el.wire yagi(F6IRF half moxon) , Vertical , Inv.vee

I was able to put temporary that 2el.antenna,described in F6IRF blog.
Saturday was working day for me,so at 4z I go to work.Right there I
have some real disapointment with Kenwood TS850 rig.After so many
years of trouble free work,the famous ALC fault happen.I check all the
sources with description of repair.Later back in contest,fault dissapear.
But not for long...As I understand that is temperature related fault and
RTTY mode much more heates the rig.So I was forced to stop and try to
repair the oldie.First of all,that 1100 marked DC-DC board is much smaller
than it looks on the pictures.A PA fellow recommended to swap the smd double
diode with regular diodes.It tooks me 45 min. to do that whit Propane
soldering
iron, which is for RF connector soldering.(No other proper SMD soldering
equipment is available on contest site)Back on air - only after 3 QSO's it
was clear that problem still persist.I check the DDS board for leaky capacitors
- none , board was clear.Other source recommended to change two
SMD resistors from 22k to 18k, guess where they are - on that damn micro
board.
Another hour was lost reverting big soldering iron into the small one - using
fat copper wire,wrapped over the heater and changing that micro resistors.
Luckily I found needed ones in my fathers junkboxes.
Back in business - Kenwood works rock solid to the end.
It seems that I have lot of luck successfully doing that repair.
Only 18% of the QSO were DX.Good high band conditions - less low band
activity.

Watching RTTY skimmer is fun, but most of interesting multipliers were found
by me, so robot needs to improve :)

Thanks for all the contacts!
I hope that all my contest logs will be on LOTW soon - I'm waiting ARRL
approval.

73 de Nasko