[3830] TxQP N5DO SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5do@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP N5DO SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 07:22:38 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 17

  160:
   80:
   40:  223    237
   20:  443     78
   15:   90      2
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  756    317      0  Mults = 138  Total Score = 443,226

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to James, K5FD, for once again driving around far west Texas (955 miles).
 We had two unplanned stops for a little over 30 minutes each.  First in Reeves
County we stopped in Pecos to look for another set of headphones, with no luck.
 My Heil Pro-Set Plus had an intermittent problem in the molded headphone jack
so that the left side kept cutting out.  My backup Heil BM-10 headset does not
cover the whole ear and the road noise was pretty bad.  Not finding anything
better I bought a pair of hearing protector ear muffs to put over the BM-10
headset.  That worked, but after about 20 - 30 minutes my ears were so smashed
down that I had to take the protectors off for awhile.

The other break came in Zavala County.  In the middle of a great pileup the
computer crashed.  Something seemed to go wrong with the hard drive (maybe too
much banging onto the temporary wooden table being used as an operating
position?).  After 30 minutes of working on that to no avail I switched to the
old fashioned way -- copying on paper and pencil and sending with a paddle --
at least it was better than a straight key.

All in all it worked out well and was very enjoyable.  The rain (and one never
complains about rain in west Texas)had come through Alpine on Friday (about 2.5
inches!).  We started out Saturday morning under cloudy skies and headed West.
We quickly were out in the sunshine again, but as we turned back to the East we
caught up to the rain.  In Reagan County we drove through some hard rain, but
from Crane County to Uvalde County we saw lots of standing water.  Fortunately
all the roads were open.

Once again it was a great weekend, full of fun and adventure!  Thanks to
everyone for following us from county to county.