[3830] CQ WW RTTY W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:02:33 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 40

   80:
   40:
   20: 1770  4275      57      92    33
   15:
   10:
Total: 1770  4275      57      92    33  Total Score = 778,000

Club:

Comments:

I have been pretty busy this spring and summer with several home and tower
projects and had not been on the air since February.   A few days before the
contest, I decided to hook things up and hoped that the station still worked so
that I could participate in this event.  Everything seemed in order except for
an issue with the prop pitch rotator.  After work on Friday I made a little
time to climb the tower to resolve the problem.  In the fall wasps hang around
my tower at times, for some reason, and on Friday they were swarming all the
way up.  They were not aggressive and I climbed to the top to remove the
lightning protection devices from the rotator.  Luckily this solved the rotator
problem.  When the contest began, 20m was open in all directions and I was off
to a good start.  Propagation to Japan was better than I have seen in recent
years. After 5 1/2 hours a thunderstorm passed though making it difficult to
copy stations though the QRN.  The storm became more severe forcing me to shut
down the station.  I tried to watch TV but I kept losing the satellite
connection from the heavy rain.   After a busy work week I was pretty tired and
I wound up falling asleep while waiting for the storm to pass.  It was a long
restful break and I woke up before sunrise for a nice European run.  Once 10m
and 15m opened, 20m became pretty slow.  I hung in there and in the late
afternoon I had a fantastic opening into Europe and rates jumped to over
80/hour.  Throughout the first day I had occasional showers which produced S9
+10dB of static making copying difficult at times.  By Sunday the weather had
cleared and the band was quiet, but the rates were much slower.  I guess I
worked almost everyone already.  20m was open 24 hours a day but I took a
number of food and sleep breaks on Sunday as the rates were very slow.   I
searched more for multipliers but I had limited success.  Many countries that
are common in CQWW Phone and CW are just not active in this mode.  It was great
to be back on the air and the CQ WW RTTY contest was a lot fun.   I would like
to thank everyone for the QSOs.  Please QSL vie WD9DZV.

73,

John KK9A / P40A