[3830] CaQP KE3X M/SFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenlow7@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP KE3X M/SFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 18:41:17 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: KE3X

Class: M/SFixed HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    0      0
   80:    1      0
   40:   36      3
   20:   91     65
   15:  102     75
   10:   27     19
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First day was spent dabbling in Low Power mode in between errands and kids
activities, went to bed with 316 Q's in the books.   Sunday morning noticed the
SFI was under 100 (yuck) and bands a lot less fun.   So I turned on the
amplifier (Alpha 76A fresh back from a N4UQ tune up) and decided to have some
fun with it, also also used the spotting network.  After re-reading the rules I
figured out that put me in Multi-Op category.  Oh well, fun factor was
definately higher and it kept me in the chair.

Best moment was WX3B 'instant messaging' me through my N1MM Logger window
asking "Where are you?"   Which made me realize, this is the first contest
where I have operated from my own station since Sweepstakes Phone 2011, and
just for the fun of it, and without focusing on the score - a nice change.
Tried for the Sweep anyway, but missed DELN, SBEN and SHAS.

This was first real experience with CQP - the rates were high enough it did not
feel like a the typical state QSO party.   Nice to run into so many familiar
calls:  N6AN, N6ZRO, N6O, etc.   Also I heard 'thanks for the new multiplier'
quite a lot.  I heard K3TN on a bit Saturday, but not sure if anyone else from
Maryland was also on.   But fear not, folks - only a month more until
Sweepstakes ... at which time I am fairly sure MDC will be somewhat easier to
work :-)

Thanks to NCCC for organizing a great event.

73,

Ken KE3X