[3830] CaQP W6PH SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6PH SOFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:16:48 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA (Inyo)
Operating Time (hrs): 20.3

  160:   23
   80:  112     111
   40:  157      64
   20:  248     488
   15:  205     346
   10:  116     161
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Eastside Contest Group

Comments:

Equipment:  IC-781  AL1200 (SO1R)
N1MM convert

Temporary antennas on AB-577's:  (They come down on Monday)

40-2CD at 60 feet
3el 20m yagi at 60 feet
5el 15m yagi at 55 feet
A3S for 10m at 42 feet

80m slopers below 40-2CD and 3el 20
MA160V

This started out as a casual operation because of visitors here for the Lone
Pine Film Festival which kept us from doing K6Z this year.  Because of this I
made a goal of 1000 contacts.  I lost four really prime hours on Saturday
because of activities at the park from noon until 2 pm and dinner from 6:30 pm
until 8:30 pm.  But I got sucked into the contest on Sunday.  About midday I
took some time off to go in the house to look at the CQP website to see what
the Inyo County record was.  I found out that I was within shouting distance of
it and decided to try to beat it which eventually happened.

I thought activity was very good with an almost endless string of callers.
Many people said they "weren't in the contest" but were helping out.  I took
the time to explain the exchange to many of them.  I also ran into many friends
and were able to chat a little.  To me that is one of the highlights of these
contests.

DX propagation was weak but I put a number of weak DX stations in the log from
Europe as well as some Africans and a handful of JA's.

It is helpful to be able to have two antennas on the same band.  I kept the
permanent A3S pointing to the north for the sevens and the main antennas
pointing east.  If I heard a weak 7 calling they instantly became S9 switching
to the A3S.  Despite the north facing antenna I never heard a YT station this
year.

Notwithstanding the point advantage of a CW contact it seemed that SSB produced
a better rate of points per hour than CW.  But I struggled more with weak SSB
stations than with weak CW stations.

Of all the contests that I participate in, this is still my favorite.
Hopefully we will have K6Z back next year as long as the CQP and the Lone Pine
Film Festival are on different weekends.

                  73, Kurt, W6PH