[3830] CaQP W6DOJ M/MFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K6XN@ATT.NET
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6DOJ M/MFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 12:52:42 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6DOJ
Operator(s): K6XN, K6YN
Station: W6DOJ

Class: M/MFixed HP
QTH: NEVA
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:
   80:   15     73
   40:  187    118
   20:  230    271
   15:  206    210
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club:

Comments:

Bob, K6YN and I decided to give this our best effort to improve our score from
last year (which we did), to make more CW contacts than in previous years and
to make a new personal record for ourselves as compared to our prior efforts
operating on batteries, solar power and one generator from 5000 feet in a
forest on top of a mountain in the Tahoe National Forest.  This was our best
ever personal effort for two old farts in their 60s! :-)

We only used old (almost antique) beloved equipment:

Two Icom IC-751A transceivers (over 30 years old) A rebuilt 1965 Heathkit
SB-200 linear amplifier (over 46 years old) A beloved old Alpha 76PA linear
Amplifier (over 31 years old) An Icom IC-2K linear amplifier and an Icom AT-500
automatic antenna tuner (over 30 years old)

Two rebuilt KLM KT-34A triband beams (over 30 years old but rebuilt by us for
use at the cabin) on their own towers A 546 foot horizontal loop wire antenna
up 60 to 100 feet in the pine trees A 75M inverted Vee antenna with its apex up
about 100 feet Solar panels and batteries A Honda EU-2000i generator (only a few
years old)

Multiple identical old HP NC-6000 laptop computers for logging and networking
rebuilt by us from junkers bought on E-Bay which we rebuilt especially for
contesting, e.g. new hard drives, updated software, more RAM etc.

Bottom line, almost everything worked perfectly, we learned a lot as we always
do during a serious contest effort, and we have plans to improve our equipment,
strategies and contesting skills for next year.

Thank you for all the QSOs and for a wonderful (but tiring) weekend!

73, K6XN (Ted) and K6YN (Bob)