[3830] CQWW SSB NQ4I M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rick@nq4i.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB NQ4I M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:26:39 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NQ4I
Operator(s):
NQ4I,AA4V,W4SVO,N4DU,VE7ZO,N4XL,K4NV,4X6TT,KM4HI,AA4LR,W4IX,AG4W,W4DD,N4FD,KD3P
Station: NQ4I

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Griffin, Ga
Operating Time (hrs): 48.0

  160:  302    16       33
   80:  390    24       84
   40: 1182    35      112
   20: 1644    39      140
   15: 1447    38      140
   10: 1817    33      144
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Nothing left on the table down here....the guys worked everything we could hear
and everything propagation allowed. October from Georgia is still summer time
propagation. The low bands from the Southern US are vastly different from the
North East US. Proximity to Europe on the low bands produces far more qso's. On
40 meters, 20m meters, and also on 15m we in the Southern US have to work
through the North East US stations to get to the Europeans. The signals from
Europe have to take an additional hop to arrive at my qth, with a path loss of
approximately 10 less signal strength. Large antennas still cannot make up for
the unique differences that exist.

160 Meters...Steve AA4V managed to milk the band for all it was worth...Steve
gets the BIS (Butt in the Seat) award. He was as diligent and persistent as
possible. The summertime propagation still has lots of noise and qrn. Plus
using beverages aimed to the NE were in direct line with Huricane Sandy. So
lots of noise on the beverages from the hurricane.

80 Meters...Mark W4SVO and Jim N4DU put in a fine effort. The 12 element LPDA
was re-installed after the 155 ft rohn 45 tower fell the week before the
contest. It is not as high as we want it, but it does a nice job. It is 1-2 s
units better than the 4 square and hears better than the beverages. Our score
on 80 meters was down from last years mults and qso's.

40 Meters....Jim VE7ZO and Kevan N4XL combined for a superb effort. Repairs a
few weeks before the contest to the 4 element KLM 40m were very successful and
the station is now very balanced between run and mult. The numbers for 40
meters were down from previous years, and I suspect it was because the high
activity on 10m. KD3P manned the station in the daytime looking for VE's and
Caribbean stations. HK1NA was worked at 1pm in the afternoon...unbelievable!!

20 Meters...Dennis K4NV, led Jim KM4HI, and Amir 4X6TT in a great effort. The
big 8 element yagi had a frozen rotor and was fortunatley fixed on
Eu....leaving the rest of the stack to rotate in all the other directions. Down
about 10-15% in mults from previous years...

15 Meters....not really sure why the numbers from this band were down from last
year. Drubber W4IX and Steve AG4W were all over the place trying to keep things
hopping...they worked everything they heard and then some...down 20% in total
q's from previous years..suspect 10m activity had something to do with it. Huge
wall of qrm from NE US making high rates a real problem. Hardline connectors
were replace the week before the contest...don't know how they even conducted
RF as bad as they had deteriorated.

10 Meters...NQ4I,  Jeff W4DD,and Larry N4FD swapped chairs all weekend long
trying to keep the rate meter up....unbelievable activity on 10 Meters...On
Sunday morning I saw a spot from a DL at approximately 11z for KC1XX...said he
was LOLUD and BOOMING...at my qth we could not even hear the first EU for
another hour and a half, and then we could not run EU for another 30
minutes..."location, location"

This weekend we had the least interstation interference that we had ever
experienced. The station upgrade program will continue since we are seeing such
lasting improvments.

Three operators had to cancel the week before the test...but we still had
enough to keep things manned and functioning....

Thanks for all the qso's...all the qsy requests...to the operators who gave up
a weekend with family to come and participate...and to my spouse who puts up
with 15 extra people in our home over a weekend so many times each year...and
to CQ Magazine for one of the best contests ever.

A large effort will be focused to getting ready for CQWW CW....see you all in
four weeks...de Rick NQ4I