[3830] CQWW SSB N5DX(@K5GO/N5DX) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N5DX(@K5GO/N5DX) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:40:00 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5DX
Operator(s): W0UA, N5DX, K0RF, N5XR, K5LG, K5GO
Station: K5GO/N5DX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ARKANSAS
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   24    13       23
   80:   93    24       78
   40:  977    35      111
   20:  593    38      133
   15: 1748    39      143
   10: 1659    34      148
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

A few weeks before contest it was confirmed that we would have important guests
coming from Colorado and time was short to make everything work as well as
possible including being able to turn the antennas and know which direction
they were pointed without having to go outside to look :-).

The week prior to the contest week was spent fixing the prop pitches on 20 and
15 and the week of the contest was spent working on the indicators and
integrating ARS-USB (EA4TX units) with the power supplies and pots installed on
the masts. Big thanks to John, KM5PS, for helping me with the software, etc.

K0RF and W0UA arrived late Wednesday night via skew path on the scenic highway
62 route with skeptical George taking over from Mr. Garmin.

Thursday I decided we needed something better toward Asia on 80m and a 2
element wire Yagi was designed for us to put on the 40m tower with end pulled
way out aiming NW over the valley.  Supposed it would be good for a few
multipliers that we would not work on the 4 Square.  We got it up on Friday
with a lot of help from K0RF and N5XR and spliced the coax into another that
didn't appear to be used.  We tried  it a few times the first night and found
it to be very quiet.  Tuning capacitor in amplifier would occasionally arc
which we attributed to the driven element blowing against the tower.  After
being up all night K0RF went up the big tower with some PVC to secure the DE so
we wouldn't have that problem. Some additional testing caused us to look once
again at our splice.  It was good but we had spliced it into a coax that was
buried and not easily found and we had actually been pumping the power into an
unused Beverage.  Spliced the coax into correct coax and worked three double
multipliers the second morning that probably would not have been worked without
it.

No problems during the contest with computers or equipment.  W0UA and N5DX did
95% of the running and Chuck worked very hard to  maximize the multipliers.
Conditions were down some from last year but we came within a few hundred
thousand points of the same score as 2011.

W0UA's personality-plus style with intensity attracts callers.  He provided
entertainment on the air as well as in the radio room.   I think Kevin recorded
some of it and if I get time I'll make a CD which will be available at the low
price of $19.95 ( plus shipping and handling) including a few bonus Public
Service Announcements. :-)

Everyone had a good time and worked well together, which is all-important.

Thanks to each person who participated by making even a few contacts.  The end
result is a great time for thousands worldwide.  We look forward to working
everyone in the CW portion from K5GO.

Equipment:

K3 x 2
TS-590S x 2

AL-1500 x 4
3-1000 x 1

Antennas:

160m. - Shunt fed tower
80m - 4 Square + 2 element wire Yagi (NW)
40m - 5 element Yagi, 90 foot boom - 135 feet
20m - 6 element Yagi, 65 foot boom - 70 feet + 8/8, 114 foot booms - 146//73
feet fixed on Europe + 4L SE
15m - 7 element Yagi, 56 foot boom - 90 feet + 10 element Yagi, 108 foot boom -
60 feet fixed on Europe +  6 element Yagi, 48 foot boom fixed (NW)
10m - 6 element Yagi, 38 foot boom - 80 feet + 6/6, 36 foot booms fixed NW

www.k5go.com

73...Stan, K5GO