[3830] CQWW SSB K1LT SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K1LT SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:12:46 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:   24     9       14
   80:   69    16       42
   40:  105    19       57
   20:  150    28       80
   15:  220    30      101
   10:  335    30      115
------------------------------
Total:  903   132      409  Total Score = 1,355,746

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I didn't have any specific plan or goal for this contest.  I started by
calling interesting stations (the more distant, the better) and followed
the propagation.

The high bands were rather decent, although probably not quite as nice
as last year and the low bands were quiet but signals were weak.  I was
barely able to hear PJ2T on 160, for example.  On the other hand, LU2Dxx
was relatively easy to work.  The second night was slightly better and
the third night (all 60 minutes of it) seemed like it was going to be
better yet.

I need a better 80 meter antenna.  I currently use a "cage" of 4 wires
around the 160 meter vertical.  Each cage wire is tuned for a different
part of the band, but each wire is only about 50 kHz wide, which makes
for much amplifier and antenna tuner tweaking while hunting.  I need to
find a place to plant the Hy-Tower but I'm reluctant to make another
radial field that requires mowing (a down-side of having many acres).

All contacts were of the search and pounce variety except for three
short runs of fewer than 10 QSOs each.  On the second day I made myself
a challenge to see how many European multipliers I could find by using
the callsign search feature of DX Summit instead of watching for
interesting calls in the flood of spots.

Accumulating multipliers this way is certainly intoxicating.  However, I
twice fell into the trap of working someone before verifying their
callsign thus causing dupes because of bad spots.  Next time I'll try to
have a more specific goal, although phone is just not my thing.

No surprise multiplier because I didn't do much running.  Being able to
work 4O3A for a zone multiplier on 160 during the last hour was a
pleasant outcome.  Working 9M6BKW on 15 during the last 10 minutes was
also a nice touch.

I worked just a few 6 band stations, like HK1NA, PJ2T, PJ4X, but many
4-band stations who would have been 6-band contacts if low band
conditions were better.

Equipment: K3; ETO 91B (thanks Jeff!); Cushcraft X7 at 60 feet, 40 meter
ground mounted vertical with 32 radials, 160 meter "Tee" 65 feet high
with 75 radials; 80 meter "cage" as described above.