[3830] CQWW SSB LU2DKT/MOD SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB LU2DKT/MOD SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 08:53:05 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: LU2DKT/MOD
Operator(s): LU2DKT
Station: LU2DKT

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: BS AS, Argentina
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:  76     11       16
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  76     11       16  Total Score = 5,049

Club: LU Contest Group

Comments:

The correction is the addition of the comments section because the form was
submitted with an accidental "enter" previous to enter them

Hi Topbanders
Mother nature played an importante role this year and by the way if you have
a pair of new ears to sell at a reasonable price, they will be welcome on this
side

Static crashes picked S9+30db on the vertical S9+25 on the inverted L and
between s7 to S9+10 on beverage and K9AY during the whole contest.

So I started with expectations: below minimun !!!

Almost 3 hours had passed and only 2 brazilian stations were the only stations
heard and logged. Then, something that seemed to be like a tiny beat tone
between statics crashes barely appeared... Eureka !! a K3 something station...
it took a couple of minutes to assemble the call but finally they were there,
K3LR !!!... a couple of calls and.....in the log !!!!

Now the band is opening,.... I thought !! but 30 more minutes and nothing else
than K3LR moving up and down with QSB showed me the opposite.

Then ......PJ2T entered my log. Well, I was now in the highway, 3 and half
hours and 4 solid QSO were done !!! hey,.... more than one per hour !!!

After a while, static crashes kept at the same level but propagation improved a
little bit and with an enormous patiente from both sides I had my best run ever
on 160 with USA, VE, SA and caribean.... almost 60 more call logged after 3 and
a half more hours.

Anyone think this was not really "a run"?, come down to Argentina and try it on
160 !! hi hi and, donÂ't forget the coffee !!

While static crashes insited on keeping on at the same level, propagation got
tired and dropped, so, only 9 more calls in the next 2 hours and with that
first night was over !!!
Nothing at all heard from Europe nor Pacific.

Being ready for second night, I started checking the noise and.....bingo, it
only picked S4 to S9 on both beverage and K9AY.....Yes....this was going to be
THE NIGHT!!!!..... I believed.

Expectation went sky high !!

When the sun started to appear through the windows and, no more coffee was
available, I took my calculator, counted the number of QSO, counted it again,
computed the delta with the previous night and YES, No doubt ........ 2 QSO
were logged during the full night !! and yes, it is not a typo "Two QSOs".  2
Valuable QSOs

After some rest, party was almost over, 3 remaining hours of sunday night at
front, so I checked propagation and YES, statics crashed were back !!! they
picked again between S7 and S9+10 on both receiving systems

Expectations:  unknown

2 of the 3 remaining hours had passed and nothing was heard...
Expectation started shifting from unknown to I donÂ't know what to say....so, I
started begging for at least one more QSO !!!

Suddenly, a very weak signal appeared, I4FYF !!! the first European heard
during the full contest, I was exited and being ready to enter him in the log,
I called him, called, and called more than 50 times but nothing, then 9A1A
appeared, same result, then II9P same result. I kept rotating calling them but
nothing.

Finally, and after insisting on praying for at least 1 final QSO, my praying
was satisfied and 4O3A was heard !!! and after some calls, he came back with...
"the one with uniform in the call ??" and after many
calls I finally squeezed him into my Log !!....in his own words "And then a
tiny signal that took a while to catch - LU2DKT for another double mult!"

Yes, it was hard as always from Argentina, and conditions keep on dropping
folowing the solar cycle while improving propagation on 10 and 6 mts, but I
enjoyed it a lot anyway....

Many thanks people for your patiente and sorry for my so many requests to
repeat your calls again and again.

As most of you knows, a perfect combination between static crashes and murphy
law makes the noise peak always happens at the same letters of your call !!!

As a big surprise, I didnÂ't hear y reference beacon on topband which normally
indicates band conditions. I am referring to Herb KV4FZ

Year after year, more stations are listening to this southernd land, many
thanks for contacting me
...... Eddy..LU2DKT

Station
IC-751A +DSP W9GR + Titan amp (thanks to LU7DW)
Tx Ant  T + Inv L
Rx Ant  K9AY + beverage