[3830] SS CW AA5AU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW AA5AU Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 19:38:26 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

------------
  160:    0
   80:   22
   40:  129
   20:  258
   15:  225
   10:    6
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

I had no plans to do SS this weekend. Was working on antennas most of Saturday
when I decided I was at a stopping point. Came inside just as the contest
started and jumped in with "nothing better to do". It became apparent that
conditions were good and the contest bug bit me very hard.

Sunday was a rain-out for antenna work, so what better way to spend a rainy day
than contesting? Soon I was making goals like 500 contacts. When I got to 500, I
needed only MB and YT. I ran 15 meters for an hour and a half hoping one would
call in. I figured YT was out of the question, but I really wanted MB.

Finally I went S&P on 15 meter at 2210Z in hot pursuit of the last two. I
passed up everything that started with A, K, N or W and focused on hearing only
stations starting with a V. Thirteen minutes later I found VE4GV. Two minutes
later I found VY1EI on 21074 kHz with no pileup. S-W-E-E-P !!!

One thing for sure. CW contesting is much more difficult and tiring that RTTY
contesting! But it is great fun nonetheless.

Station:
Icom IC-756 PRO III 100 watts
2-element SteppIR at 35'
40M inverted vee