[3830] SS CW W6YX(N7MH) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W6YX(N7MH) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 22:25:43 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SCV
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   40
   40:  377
   20:  367
   15:  340
   10:  114
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I tried to reassemble our winning School Club effort from last year but KB0VVT
and NF1R were unavailable.  KZ2V decided to see how well he could do from his
home station so that left me as the lone operator from last year.

I hadn't reviewed the rules so I sent a precedence of S, not realizing that the
wording had changed to exclude alumni-only operations.  I operated unassisted to
see how well I could do without the spotting network so my precedence should
have been B.

We had a big group doing the EME contest this weekend.  While I was waiting to
start up after my 6-hour break I visited the EME trailer and made a CW Q on
EME.  The EME radios and positioning equipment are sensitive to HF
transmissions on some nearby antennas so I didn't use those antennas while the
moon was up.

I used the second radio extensively, mostly doing passive spotting while
sending the long SS exchange.  When I found a clear frequency on the second
radio I would switch to dual-CQing until I'd lose one of the frequencies.  I
even tried dual S&P but didn't have the mental stamina to keep it up for long.

I'd worked all but RI when I took my break.  Early in the morning I heard K1VSJ
S&Ping.  Not long after that I heard W1WBB with a nice signal and called him on
the second radio.  RI and ONN are the only sections that I didn't work more
than once.

Thanks for all the Q's.  Hopefully we can get some student or faculty
participation for the phone SS and do a legitimate class S.

73,
-Mike, N7MH