[3830] SS CW W6LD SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jfore@wsgr.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W6LD SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 07:38:10 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6LD
Operator(s): W6LD
Station: W6LD

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SCV
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  622
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I do not normally contest from my home location because I have no antennas
installed to speak of, other than a low 20 meter dipole, and the noise floor
in the neighborhood is high due to local appliances.

But I got on this weekend with the intent of playing with the software and
station configuration and trying to make a few Qs.  Before long, I found myself
wondering how much I could accomplish on a single band with the dipole at 18
feet.

Initially, I set my sights on 50 sections.  Then 60.  Then 70.  And, finally, a
clean sweep, which was not to be had as I missed NNY. I heard it on, but the
pile-up was unruly and I was reluctant to compound the challenges for the NNY
station.  I returned later to hear stations continue calling for many minutes,
even after the NNY station had apparently left the frequency, probably in
frustration.

It turned out that the biggest challenge of the weekend would be "hearing."  My
500 watts attracted calls from many stations that were difficult or impossible
to copy with my low wire antenna and high noise floor.  My apologies to the
many stations who called from whom I needed "repeats" or that could not be
copied at all.

73,

John,
W6LD