[3830] SS CW N1DC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1dc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N1DC Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:39:16 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N1DC
Operator(s): N1DC
Station: N1DC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Braintree MA (EMA)
Operating Time (hrs): 15

------------
  160:    0
   80:  100
   40:  133
   20:  108
   15:  141
   10:   19
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

ARRL SS has been one of my favorites since 1968. This was my first SS without
CT. I upgraded to a new computer and installed N1MM. Since the PC has only USB
ports I needed the WKUSB keyer from K1EL. This was a fun assembly project that
worked perfectly. All the testing BEFORE the contest paid off.  I had one issue
mid-week with USB ports going to sleep. Really glad I ran some tests in
advance.

Worked 302 via S&P and 199 via CQ. Probably spent too much time S&Ping looking
for sections. All the tough ones were in my log early this year. Before noon on
Sunday I had 80 with only VT, NNY and AB left. As the day wore on I decided to
stay on 15 with the beam pointed NW looking for Alberta. I worked plenty of
stations all around that location but never heard a VE6.

When 15 started to close I went to 40 looking for NNY and VT. Not a good band
choice since I couldn't hear anything < 200 miles. Moving to 80 I found the
band very noisy with only a few stations. Started calling CQ and worked about
60 in under 90 minutes! Got NNY (thanks K2ZC) and then VT (thanks NV1X) getting
me to 82.

I went back to 15 and 20 looking for AB with no luck. The final push was on 80
with about 50 stations in the last 45 minutes.

Computer:  Fast PC running Windows 7,  N1MM contest software
Station:  TenTec Omni7 at 100W, WKUSB keyer,  MFJ Differential T tuner
Antennas:  HyGain Explorer 14 4 element at 30ft,  80/40 dipoles

Thanks for all the QSO's.

73   Rick   N1DC  Braintree MA  (EMA)