[3830] SS CW W0DLE Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0ua@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W0DLE Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 15:01:02 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W0DLE
Operator(s): W0DLE, WB0GAZ, W0UA
Station: W0DLE

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  182
   40:  399
   20:  563
   15:  139
   10:   19
------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

This was a commemorative operation, of sorts.  Chuck (W0DLE, hereinafter
referred to as "Wodle")was the first ham I met in Denver when I moved here in
1972.  That year, we planned a little multiop-thing for CW SS from his station
in south Denver.  He had a 6 element 15 at 70 feet and a non-rotating rotary
dipole for 40 at 50 feet.  NO antennas for 20 and 80!  I brought my Drake
TR-3--with no narrow filter, just the nominal 2.1 Khz SSB passband--and no
semi-break-in, so one hand continuously on the front panel T/R switch (which I
wore-out). At literally 2059Z, Chuck (then WB0DLE) said, "You go ahead--operate
it!" My shocked protests were to no avail and I ended-up operating the
thing--and winning for low-power CW--with 785/72 for 113,040 points.  It was a
close race with some guy named Ralph, callsign WB5AAR.  Anyway, 40 years later
we decided to mark the anniversary by doing the multi-op thing for real this
time...

We're still trying to understand why on earth we opted to put the "off-run"
station on a trap vertical and an 18HT rather than wiring it for access to his
switchable main antennas.  Wodle figured this out mid-day Sunday and our
returns with the 2nd station went up dramatically!  Definitely a "DUH!" for
both of us.  The contest itself was was not a fast-starter; 15 was "soft" at
the start and it and 10M remained marginal for the duration, so 20, 40 and even
80 had to take the load, which they did, and admirably so.  Interestingly, our
last section was Pacific on Sunday AM.  Dave, WB0GAZ, another long-time friend
from the (19) 70's came up to help us on Sunday--and are we ever glad he did!
This ain't 1972 anymore here--and he most competently spelled us, both running
and hunting, allowing us to "chill" a little on Sunday morning and gird for the
finale.  Great job, OM, thanks!

So, 40 years on, we're not kids anymore, but we're still radio-crazy and we
worked it hard.  Wodle Chuck kept us fed and watered with his usual flair and
his station worked very nicely.  I figure that between our boneheadedness with
the setup and some other minor glitches, we left a LOT of Q's on the table.
That's OK, we'll be back!

Thanks for all the calls and comebacks!  We hope everyone enjoyed it as much as
we did!  We're already planning for the 80th anniversary operation..

For Chuck and Dave, 73,

Geo  W0UA