[3830] SS CW N1LN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N1LN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 18:42:51 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 19.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  274
   40:  373
   20:  297
   15:   60
   10:    2
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Saturday evening started out great.  The rates were not great but very good and
I was ahead of last year and really wanted to put in the full 24 hrs.  I had a
pretty good 130 rate on 40 meters when the pager went off and the phone rang.
Trouble in one of the Hospital data centers.  My priorities quickly changed.
This was around 0100 UTC. The issue was quickly resolved but I was off the air
for more than 1 hour during prime time. When I finally got back Murphy thought
it would be entertaining to pay me a visit. My NE beverage went totally dead. I
spent a few minutes inside and outside trying to get that fixed, but no joy.
That is when I was very pleased to have installed the north one. It worked well
enough for a domestic contest, but the NE must be fixed before the upcoming DX
contests. The next thing to go wrong was me. The original goal was to operate
until around 0800 UTC but that was not going to happen. By 0615 UTC I was too
tired to continue, so it was time to go to bed.

On Sunday I went out in the daylight to check the NE beverage. Everything
looked and tested fine.  Came in the house and was pleased to hear it was
working.  It continued to work for the rest of the contest.  UPDATE - tonight
it is dead again and will stay that way until this weekend.

Conditions were quite good from here on 80, 40 and 20.  As everyone has already
reported 40 meters was the best. Sunday afternoon was a real sleeper, but SO2R,
which I am not good at, not only helped the rate but the constant activity kept
me awake.

NNY was my last section for the sweep.   I saw NN2L spotted a couple times much
earlier, but was not going to join the ZOO. Poor Chuck. That was the only time
in this contest when BAD BEHAVIOR seemed to take over. Everyone kept calling
but no one was listening.  Then Sunday morning at 1458 UTC AB2ZY called me on
40. Thanks Alan.  Just for good measure WB9G called in at 0145 UTC on Monday.
Always better to have 2 in the log from the rare ones.  The section with the
most Qs was Virginia with 53.  GO PVRC.

See you in a couple weeks for the SSB SS.  Have your DVRs ready for Sunday
afternoon.

73,
Bruce N1LN