[3830] SS CW W7YAQ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W7YAQ Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 23:56:13 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W7YAQ
Operator(s): W7YAQ
Station: W7YAQ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Sisters OR
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:   87
   40:  193
   20:  318
   15:  174
   10:  152
------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

For the first time in 10 years I decided to operate A class rather than Q.  I
decided to set a goal of 1000 QSOs, using my 2002 SS entry as my guide â?" the
only time I ever made 1000 QSOs in CW SS.

By 0100Z (4 hours in) I was 27 Qs ahead of my 2002 count, and at 0300Z still 15
Qs ahead.  The adrenaline was flowing!  But then, as others have reported, the
dreaded low band curse set in.  By 0800 not only was I 35 Qs behind 2002 pace,
but trailed local A-class competitors Bill K2PO and Dick N7XU by 40 Qs or so
when contacted.  Everyone seemed to go to bed early this year, so at 0820 I
did, too.

Sunday morning, I was back on by 1350Z optimistically thinking I could make up
for lost ground.  WRONG!!!  As the hours dragged on, 9 of 10 CQs went
unanswered and S&P trolling found 9 of 10 stations had already been worked.
Unlike 2002, a 40 QSO hour Sunday was the exception, not the rule.

I guess motivation for a clean sweep kept me going.  NN2L in NNY completed the
sweep at 1937Z.

10 meters was disappointing.  In 2002 I made 400 Qs, but this year only 152 and
most of those Saturday.  Sunday the band seemed open, but I guess most ops
decided rates were better on 20 and 15.  It may be that east coast activity
levels were impacted by Sandy.  Many thanks to the folks in NNJ, SNJ, and NLI
that managed to get on!

No more complainingâ?¦â?¦..This is a wonderful contest â?" an annual chance to
meet old friends and new ones.  Who is this VO1XX guy that says â??Hi Bobâ???
(Thanks George K5KG!) How great is it to be called by that old chestnut W0EEE?
(Thanks Ward N0AX!)  How is it I could outscore W7RM with N6TR at the key?
(Well, Tree operated remotely from VU-land!)  Really happy to catch the CK 54
regulars â?" John K4BAI, Dennis W7WHO, Tom W7WHY, Rod W7ZRC, Bill K2DI, Carl
N4AA, Ralph VE7XF, and 18 others!

Rig: K3
Ants:  3-el Steppir with 40 trombone at 70 ft, 80M inverted V at 65 ft

73,
Bob W7YAQ CK-54