[3830] SS CW K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 07:16:01 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 23.6
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  136
   40:  460
   20:  382
   15:   88
   10:    1
------------

Club: Hesston College ARC

Comments:

We all wondered how the Hurricane Sandy sections would play this year, and now
we have the answer. My QSO #8 CQ was answered by NLI and it went from there. It
was an amazing job by all those in the affected areas and it will be interesting
to read the posts from the northeast and hear the stories. Our thoughts are with
you all as you continue the recovery.

Just for fun, I went back the past few years and checked numbers from some of
the northeastern sections. In all the 80 sections from previous years, numbers
have been remarkably consistent each year. This year, there was a drop off in
activity from some northeast sections as expected, with ME and MAR most
affected. NH actually showed an increase in activity!  Here's the data showing
the number of CW section contacts I've made by year since 2005. In the years
listed, I operated basically full time.

--- 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12
---------------------------
CT  14 14 18 17 17 13 10 11
EMA 19 19 26 25 20 19 20 21
ME  08 10 05 07 05 06 09 02 <---
NH  13 18 14 17 14 15 12 22 <+++
RI  07 07 05 08 06 07 06 03 <-
ENY 15 10 17 18 12 13 15 15
NLI 10 07 16 11 13 12 12 07 <-
NNJ 15 20 21 16 14 11 12 11
SNJ 07 05 11 13 09 06 07 06
DE  05 02 05 05 07 06 04 03
MDC 32 38 44 56 53 47 42 41
MAR 03 06 04 07 07 06 08 01 <---

Overall, my general sense from Kansas was that the band conditions were good
but the activity was down. I worked SO2R much harder this year, and I still had
one of my lowest scores in the past 10 years. I remember one 10 minute stretch
alternating CQs on 20 and 15 with huge signals coming in on both bands and not
a single reply. Sunday was as slow as I can remember, and it was really
tempting to just take a nap. 10m was good from from coasts, but here in Kansas,
the band was too long to really try to work.

The new Ontario sections added some fun.  It quickly became apparent that ONE,
ONS, and GTA would be easy to get. Finally ONN called in, the only one I
worked. I did lots of second radio S&P and never found another ONN although I
read from 3830 that there were at least two out there. I worked two or more of
all other sections except MAR and ND, with the Sweep coming at 1735Z thanks
once again to VY1EI with a huge signal. The final five countdown was ME PR MAR
AK NT.

School participation seemed higher than in previous CW years. This year I
worked W8SH, W6YX, W8EDU, N9GTC, W2DSC, N5XU, W4UAL and W3YI. School stations
generally take a few moments to chat, something I really appreciate and enjoy.
We're working hard to field another student team for SSB Sweeps this year, so
we hope to work you all again!

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC