[3830] CQWW SSB VE7SZ(VA7RR) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE7SZ(VA7RR) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 17:21:41 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE7SZ
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE7SZ

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: British Columbia
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 3167    34      116
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I'd like to thank Allan, VE7SZ, for hosting me for this contest. I've been a
guest at Allan's station for a number of contest efforts over the years - the
hospitality is always first rate, and the station performs terrifically.

    I was initially thinking of doing a 15M Single Band, but the presence of
some wicked local S9 line noise forced a decision (luckily BEFORE the contest
started) to hang out on 20 meters for the weekend, where the IC-7800 noise
blanker did a pretty good job of suppressing the QRN.

    The USA rates were surprisingly good, and the European openings were solid
both mornings.  However, it was tough for me to get any real rate going into
Europe either day - I assume this was because many of the EU participants were
on 15 and 10 instead. JA activity on 20 SSB continues to be on the decline.
I'd say that I had about 15 hours of openings to Japan, and have probably about
100 QSOs in total in the log.

    Throughout the contest I felt out of sync with the presence of mults on the
band. This also may have been because activity had gravitated to the higher
frequencies.  I especially missed lots of Asian mults - things like HS, BV,
VR2, 9V1, XV, and so on - they may have been around when I was busy running,
but they didn't call me, and I didn't find them when in S&P mode.  I missed Z29
as well, and worked just a couple of VKs and ZLs.

    All in all, however, this one was a lot of fun.  Thanks to all for the
QSOs, and see you on CW later this month.

73,

Gary
VA7RR