[3830] SS CW K7KU(K0KR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0kr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K7KU(K0KR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 14:29:21 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7KU
Operator(s): K0KR
Station: K7KU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Wyoming
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
  160:    0
   80:  188
   40:  355
   20:  301
   15:  325
   10:   38
------------

Club:

Comments:

This running of CW SS seemed to suffer a troubling decline in participation
relative to 2011.  I cannot recall another CW SS in which I suffered so many
unanswered CQ's, and found the S&P pickings to be so slim.  Indeed, there was
an interesting stretch on 15m in which I attracted more calls from European
hams (not in the contest) that I did from W/VE hams.

This experience inspired me to perform some research.  The results are set
forth below.

CW SS log submissions by year (as found on the ARRL website):

2009   1,555
2010   1,469
2011   1,404
2012   1,087 (through 12 Nov.)

This trend shows a 30% decline in participation since 2009, and a 23% decline
(on the basis of current numbers) just between 2011 and 2012.  I find this
worrisome.  My further impression is that, among those who did participate, the
number of entries that might be deemed at least semi-serious was also smaller
than ususal.  To be a better contest, CW SS needs a stronger turn out.

On the other hand, VE participation this year seemed excellent.  My hat's off
to the Ontario hams.  You handled the transition from one RAC Section to four
in utterly splendid fashion.  And I wish to give special thanks to the NL and
NT ops who made QSO's with their provinces and territories seem plentiful this
year.

WY, too, was an easy catch.  I enjoyed WY-to-WY QSO's with K7VU, N7IX, KO7X,
and WY7SS.

A big THANK YOU to one and all.