[3830] SS SSB K4XS SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K4XS SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 06:02:01 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   52
   40:  953
   20:  654
   15:  300
   10:   12
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

First SS from the mainland since 2005 and first time in "U" class.  Goal was to
break the old record for "U" which was 351K...didn't happen.

Things have changed a lot in 7 years for SS.  Below 7200 is now clean of
broadcast QRM, most of the activity on 75 is out of the pig farmer area of that
band and it seems like many of the pig farmers have migratred to 40.

After it was clear I wouldn't break the record my secondary goal was to break
2000 QSOs and with three hours to go and 1800+ Qs it looked like it would be
done.  Around 0000Z after finding a nice copmfy spot on 40 I started running.
I was joined by a guy who told me contesting was stupid and I should QSY.  He
was then joined by a guy with a very loud signal who whistled for a half hour,
another who played some kind of chimes and QSYed up and down my freq for 20
minutes, another who yelled "AFLAC" over and over for fifteen minutes.  The
result was a real mess and the run trickled to a Q every two minutes at best.
With 40 filled up there was no place to QSY so I bided my time for them to
leave but the damage was done to my chances to get to 2000.

Still learning N1MM, the ins and outs of assisted, and how the new station
plays.  Thanks to all for the Qs.  Many exchanges with pretty high numbers gave
a check of 10, 11 and 12.  That is encouraging for contesting.