[3830] CQWW CW N3JT SOSB/15 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N3JT SOSB/15 QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 09:43:01 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N3JT
Operator(s): N3JT
Station: N3JT

Class: SOSB/15 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  300    28       96
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Observations:

1.  There is a sense of old-time achievement in working DX with low power but
only if you are not trying to garner a huge score and do not mind calling a DL
three times.
2.  Many operators have excellent radios and demonstrated exceptional skill in
copying me on the first call when they were S7 and I was probably just above
the noise.
3.  Strategic calling often found me working "around" pileups.  Remember those
drawings of a mouse sneaking away from a pile of cats?.  A well-timed call
sometimes works better than power.  (Mostly not, however.)  I remember that too
from being on the pileup side in HK0/PZ/CP/VP2E, etc.
4.  Running 5 watts did not keep the shack warm as does the Acom 2000A.
5.  I called approximately 3,252 CQs and got 2 responses.  Not a good strategy
for using QRP, at least for me.  And I refuse to call "CQ de N3JT/QRP"!!!  Why
worsen a bad situation by forcing the other station to copy "/QRP" in addition
to the weak callsign?!. Sympathy callers?  Nah.
6.  I admit to feeling some satisfaction in making a few guys struggle to get
my call given how many times I have done the same in copying them.  I am
referring to the QRP guys at the top of the band.
7.  Let's see now, 1500 watts versus 5 watts is, um, er, ah, about 28 dB.  So
if I had been S9 with 1.5 kW I was about S4 with 5 watts.   Mediocre conditions
would have made this exercise a fiasco.
8.  I likely will not do this again, assuming my amplifier is returned in my
lifetime.  At heart I am not a QRPer.