[3830] CQWW CW MD2C(MD0CCE) SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, md0cce@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW MD2C(MD0CCE) SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 16:27:52 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: MD2C
Operator(s): MD0CCE
Station: MD0CCE

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Isle of Man
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:  409    11       66
   80:  763    17       76
   40:  237    18       57
   20:  549    27       84
   15:  406    28       93
   10:  531    28       83
------------------------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

This year was a year of not being home much, with an aggregate of 3/4 of the
weeks of the year away from home, and I returned home just two days before the
contest (with jet lag, but I guess that doesn't really matter in a 48-hour
contest) to find the 40m antenna on the ground with a howling gale and driving
rain on the only day there was to do a proper repair job.  The solution was to
put a tuner in the antenna feed to the 80m vertical and use it on 40m - it
tuned but was not an efficient system (high SWR at the vertical on 40m tuner in
the shack at the end of lots of coax), as the results show!  With the winds
expected to continue at a lower level, I cranked the tower 2/3 of the way up on
Saturday morning when the weather was more cooperative.  As there was no time to
perpare a plan for the contest and the antennas were not right, it seemed like
added fun to enter the LP category as well, just to increase the pain (....er,
fun).

It was surprising how well 160m and 80m worked with low power; only the worst
pileups couldn't be broken, although some took a long time.  On 40m, every
pileup was a chore, with many disappointments on lost multipliers.  Conditions
on 10m were marginal on Saturday but there was a great opening to the Far East
and later to North America on Sunday, with wonderful runs.

Thanks to the organizers and to everyone for a lot of fun and a great contest!
And apologies to those who asked for repeats, sometimes many, and thanks for
your tenacity!

73
Bob

Rig:  FTDX-9000D
Ant:  (10m-15m-20m)4-el SteppIR at 60 feet
      (160m-80m-40m) vertical