[3830] CQWW CW K0ZR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, crawforj@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0ZR SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 18:13:05 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0ZR
Operator(s): K0ZR
Station: K0ZR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 40.0

  160:   17     7        8
   80:  140    19       51
   40:  559    26       89
   20:  405    30       88
   15:  408    22       71
   10:  414    23       71
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Since last year I installed a (almost) quarter-wave vertical for 80m with ~ 90
radials 60 to 80 ft in length.  For the long-distance QSOs this out-performed
my inverted-vee hung from the tower.  I still need better receiving antennas
for 80 and 160.  Hope to have a phased four-square system designed and built by
next year.

Being able to switch between the 80m vertical and inverted-vee as propagation
conditions warranted was nice.  Equally so, switching between a full-size 40m
vertical and the XM-240 when a signal was off the side or on the back of the
antenna.  Gives me an appreciation for those with multiple towers/antennas that
are instantly selectable for those kind of conditions.

This year I was able to work almost everything I heard, but do believe there
are many signals I am still not able to hear until I put up antennas above 100
ft -- which won't be happening at this location.

I was very ill Saturday through Tuesday before the contest, and as a result
believe this affected me some trying to do the all-nighters.  Even so, I had a
great time and enjoyed using the fruits of my labors -- the antennas.  I am
disappointed that my score did not better my last year's score.  There is
always next year.