[3830] CQWW CW VE3BR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3br@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3BR SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 01:37:39 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3BR
Operator(s): VE3BR
Station: VE3BR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Brampton, ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  104     6        4
   80:  264    21       56
   40:  315    25       77
   20:  422    33      101
   15:  359    28       96
   10:  327    25       90
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Radio: Ten-Tec Jupiter
Antennas: 5 band hexbeam @ 40ft &
          DX-Eng 80/40 Thunderbolt 55ft Dual Band Vertical
Software: N1MM

Being introduced to radio before personal computers, I have always done
Unassisted (LP) and always wondered how much of a difference going Assisted
would make to a "small pistol" (or, in my case, to a "BB gun".) Late on Friday
I made the last minute decision and this weekend for the first time ever I used
cluster spotting in a contest. I was not very good at it, learning along the
way. (I suggest reading N1MM manual before, not during, a contest.) I agree
that it may be useful for DXing "21-st century style", but for me (no SO2R here
and my only radio is Ten-Tec Jupiter which does not do easy SO2V either) it
provides more of a distraction than an advantage in a contest. And most
importantly: it makes for an entirely different game. Contesting "Unassisted"
is like a game of chess; with spotting built into your logger it is a
"whack-a-mole" at a country fair. To each his own, but next year I am back to
Unassisted and REAL fun!

Apart from the Assisted disappointment I have one further regret: I totally
overslept what appeared to be an excellent grey line opening at Sunday sunrise.
I still managed KH2/JA/UA9-0 on 80 and a bit better on 40, but can only imagine
what "could've been"...

Ã? la prochaine fois.