[3830] CQWW CW K1RX SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mpridesti@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1RX SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 07:03:30 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1RX
Operator(s): K1RX
Station: K1RX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:  104    13       53
   80:  591    21       76
   40:  881    28       90
   20:  935    30       94
   15:  975    31       93
   10:  520    21       82
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Great weekend - many thanks to all that participated!  The most fun one can have
without being locked up!

Life is full of discoveries and contesting is no different - after 50 years of
amateur radio, still learning a few more things!

First, the station was really designed around a MM type operation and not well
done for SO2R and this weekend proved that out.  Never really thought or did
much about ergonomic issues before but now thinking if I really want to
continue doing single op, need to seriously re-do the station layout, complete
with a real SO2R control setup.  Things as simple as tilting the key board up
slightly made it easier to sit in my chair - sounds dumb but that is way it
seemed to play out.  Also switching between stations is not optimum and it was
harder to pick off mults/stations on the other bands while running on the other
radio (we all struggle with that one but my setup is not comfortable doing this)
and there are several other issues too that lead up to a decision about going
forward (re-building the station) or just accept these limitations and just
have some fun (like this weekend for example)!

Operating - 40 M was a struggle Friday night and frankly it was a bit of a
blurr but 80 and 160 were good with VERY low noise.  Had pretty much written
off 160 as my 4 SQ system is no longer working and used my old faithful
inverted vee at 90 ft.  The 80 M 4 SQ had some improvements made that seem to
have worked out okay - still a work in progress with the general re-work
program.  My 40 M yagi had lost a director element tip that I think killed it
somewhat, so it was an attitude of work what I can...

10 M sounded good at the start of Saturday but after 50 Q's, gave up and went
to 15 to run.  Was hoping 10 M would recover but just never did for me. Hoped
that Sunday would be better (and it was!).  Made nearly all my 10 M Q's on
Sunday morning - wow!

Hit 20 M seriously late Saturday morning and thought the world went nuts!  Have
not checked my rates yet but recall seeing the meter hit over 300 for the
longest time - biggest pileup I have ever experienced!

Now have to see how my local competitor did (K1ZR who is building a very
competitive station) - and I am sure he did well with a SINGLE radio!

Thanks all for a really fun time!

73, Mark, K1RX