[3830] CQWW CW OH1TX(OH2PM) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pertti.simovaara@pp1.inet.fi
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OH1TX(OH2PM) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 06:32:10 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OH1TX
Operator(s): OH2PM
Station: OH1TX

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:
   80:
   40: 2188    37      140
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2188    37      140  Total Score = 722,304

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

My long term plan was to activate TC2X on all bands. I have there radios and
some antenna stuff. However the antennas there are temporarily down. Last year
I was forced to choose a single band (80 m) at TC2X because my radio refused
work on 160.
I have only 10 m antennas up at home. Every now and then the 10 meter band has
had nice openings and ten was my second option. Since there were a couple
solar flares just a few days before the contest weekend, I saw too much
uncertainty for 10 meter operation due to the CME. There was also an invitation
to join a multi-op team in Kosovo.
Finally I gratefylly accepted invitation from Jaakko, OH1TX, to test his
station performance on 40 m CW. Not the least influential factor for this choce
was Jaakko's excellent sauna and all around the year 40 deg 40 C outdoor bath.
On 40 Jaakko has 4-el KLM monobander in a rotating tower and a fixed 2-el for
Europe with FT5000 and Acom 2000A in the shack.
I found the station performance excellent. During the nights propagation was
very poor for most of the time. Some times there were short DX openings lasting
from 15 to 20 minutes. The Saturday/Sunday night was even worse than the first
night. On both days band opened around noon time to JA ja NA. Since no major
pile-ups were built there was plenty of time for multiplier search. I never
heart zone 34 or 39. A CE6 in zone 12 was audible several times but I did not
succed in getting thru.
I am satisfied with the multiplier but absolutely short on 1000 QSOs.
Once again, one has all the reason to question why to build huge antennas in
Finland. I have worked a thousand QSOs more and few more mults at TC4C with a
simple rooftop dipole. With the cost of tower(s) and beams one can fly every
year severals times 2000 km to the south and enjoy radio and swim in the
Mediterranean Sea.
One possible answer might be, Jaakko's sauna, outdoor bath and later in the
winter chance to roll in the fresh snow in between the baths.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and see you in the coming up contests again.
Contesting is a great fun, double the fun at Jakko's.

Pertti, OH2PM