[3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:28:54 -0800

    ADDRESS-POSTALCODE: 47356
       ADDRESS-COUNTRY: USA
                 EMAIL: N4TZ@ARRL.NET

        OPERATING TIME: 42:34:52
            CQ COUNTER: 2660
            RUN/SEARCH: 553/1217 Qs
      UNIQUE CALLSIGNS: 1147

              SOFTWARE: TR4W v.4.246 http://www.tr4w.com

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points Countries     Zones
 160CW         62           62      151        34        13
  80CW        138          136      376        63        23
  40CW        298          297      842        85        28
  20CW        361          356     1013        93        30
  15CW        660          644     1874       102        31
  10CW        251          250      701        75        25

 Totals      1770         1745     4957       452       150

    Final Score = 2984114 points.

                            2012 CQ-WW-CW N4TZ
                              Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     1     1     2     3     3     3    13
   Canada calls =    21    15    19    20    26    14   115
       NA calls =    11    14    24    27    24    26   126
       SA calls =     5     8    15    30    29    42   129
     Euro calls =    17    74   192   227   457   140  1107
  African calls =     3     9    11    13    17    14    67
    Asian calls =     1     4     8    12    10     0    35
    Japan calls =     0     8    20    23    82     6   139
    Ocean calls =     3     5     7     6    12     6    39

    Total calls =    62   138   298   361   660   251  1770

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I have been having a long-running battle with my prop pitch
rotor. Most recently, during the CQWW SSB  contest it lost
calibration sometime and was 90 degrees off by the end of
the contest!  I spent quite a bit of time since then trying
to find out what the problem was.  Some days I could run
the antennas back and forth dozens of times and never drop
a degtee.  Other times, it would lose or add 15 degrees on
a single rotation of 180 degrees!  The past two weeks I
had it hooked up to a dual-channel oscilloscope to monitor
both the motor drive pulses and the reed relay sensing
pulses.  There was no indication of cross-talk, and the
reed relay line looked very clean.  During this extended
time period there was no loss of calibration.  So, the
Wednesday before the contest I disconnected the scope
to clean up the desk for the contest.  During the Thursday
pre-contest checkout I found that the rotor was losing
calibration again. Out came the scope - nothing found,
but the rotor seemed ok again.  I must have turned the
rotor 100 times Friday and had no problems.

So, I left the scope connected the entire contest and
after 48 hours the antenna still pointed in the correct
direction.

Also, last year everytime the temperature dropped below
the freezing point, the motor would not turn. I have
installed a heater Kluge on the motor and that fixed
it last winter.  However, I had rolled up the 500 foot
long wires to the shack during the summer so I could
mow.  Thursday I ran the wires back to the shack,
just in case.  Never had to turn on the heater power,
even though the temperature dropped to 20 degrees F
Saturday morning.

So all the hardware worked for the entire contest.
Conditions weren't quite so accomodating.  Only worked
a few Germans and one Swede on 10m - nothing further
east.  My CQs on 10 on both Saturday and Sunday
were mostly answered by G's and EA's.  Sure had
my hopes up after hearing lots of Mideast and
South Asian stations on 10 just a few days earlier.
Very little luck CQing on 40 the first two nights,
either.

Using the Reverse Beacon lookup today I find that
very few of my thousands of CQs were picked up by
the big-time EU skimmers on 10, even during time
periods when N5AW, N1UR and W3EF were spotted with
decent signal levels (about on a level with WB9Z,
who has at least 12dB on me; W9RE was often
weaker on 10 than Jerry).  I tried splitting
my antennas to 45/90/135 instead of all 3 pointing
NE but that didn't seem to help any - slow going
in both cases.

Had a problem with my SE 160m semi-vertical wire -
my 160 wires are suspended from a long continuous
loop of rope running thru pulleys at the top of
the tower down to anchor points in the field, like
the old-fashioned apartment clothsline.  There
was a lot of wind this weekend and Monday I found
that the SE wire had move down about 3 feet, so that
the bottom of the antenna wire was laying on the
radial field.  During the contest I found the SWR
to be very high on that antenna and it was more
difficult to work stations in that direction
compared to normal.

Had a high number of 6 band contacts this time out
9A1A, C5A, C6AQQ, CR2X, D4C, DR1A, HK1NA, KH6LC,
KH7X, KP2M, PJ2T, PJ4A, VE2EKA, VE7FO,  VE7GL,
VP5CW, and VY2Tt.  Heard EL2A on 160 the first
night but considerably weaker than C5A and D4C.
And doesn't HK1NA have a big signal!