[3830] CQWW CW OG6N(OH6NIO) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oh6nio@sral.fi
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OG6N(OH6NIO) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:43:03 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OG6N
Operator(s): OH6NIO
Station: OG6N

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Mieto
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   75     8       48
   80:  275    13       71
   40:  385    33      115
   20:  482    35      123
   15:  418    39      134
   10:  121    27       93
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

I was a bit more prepared for the CW than the SSB weekend but the backlog of
some issues was still quite long. I had almost finished a new YCCC SO2R box but
the cables were not completed. My TXBPF project was also in progress but not
finished etc. I managed to fix my 15m power divider box before the contest
though. This time I had the old SO2R setup working but without adequate
filtering I could use it mainly for quick QSY between two bands. This helped
with hunting the mults but listening while running was difficult.

The SSB leg was already quite difficult with the flu and there was still some
infection bugging me during the CW weekend so I did not have the normal stamina
left for the contest. The knowledge of the coming CME impact lowered my spirits
and I was on the verge of giving up on my participation.

The propagation was quite poor on the first day when the CME wiped out our
propagation. I did not have the strength to hunt for multipliers while I was
running so I mainly concentrated to increase my multiplier total and decided to
run more on the second day when the propagation would hopefully recover. I was
feeling poorly whole Saturday so I spent many short pauses trying to improve my
condition to no avail until after the sauna I felt a bit better but I was worn
out.

Finally I spent quite a long rest period and woke up late on Sunday morning
around 07Z. Luckily the propagation had improved and I managed to work a bunch
of multipliers on 80m before the grey line closed. I was feeling a bit better
than on Saturday but I was still struggling. 40m produced some stateside with
EU and then around 09Z I moved to 10m and 15m to catch the Asian multipliers. A
funny echo made the copy of some signals difficult at times. I could even hear
the echo of my own signal in the end of the transmission. At 11Z after the Asia
faded away I moved to 20m to run for USA and EU with some occasional Asian
caller in between. After that at around 1230Z I moved back to 10m and 15m to
catch the missing Caribbean multipliers. Soon after 13Z the Caribbean stations
started to fade away on 10m. Then 15m was producing a decent USA run until
1530Z after that only S&P increased the QSO totals. The rest of the contest was
mostly S&P as most of the run trials dried out way too soon. I also took quite a
many 10 to 15min breaks.

This time I was not even close to the last year's score due to the propagation
and my poor condition. I hope the next time I have cut my backlog of issues and
have some more antennas especially on the lower bands.

Thanks for the QSOs and congratulation to Kim OH6KZP for his incredible effort
at CR2X.