[3830] CQWW CW NA8V SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hgchapoton@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NA8V SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:16:20 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Mi
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:   44    11       24
   80:  130    19       59
   40:  255    27       87
   20:  269    28       87
   15:  473    31       95
   10:  253    22       73
------------------------------

Club: East Lansing Dx Club

Comments:

Turned out to be a great contest.  Rough start, tried both 20 and 40 at the
beginning and could do nothing.  Went to 80, had some success and then 160 and
found it quite decent early.  Fair numbers on 160/80 the first night, very poor
on 40 and 20.  40 did open up very well very late which gave some hope for the
next day.

The high bands weren't all that good on Sat.  Brain disfunction put me on 15
when i wanted to go to 10, in the long run it was probably the right move but i
was on the verge of quitting.  Only 75q on 10 the first day.

40 opened early and was quite good for me all night Sat.  160/80 not so good
early but were finally productive at EU sunrise, the reverse of Friday night.

Highlight of the contest was my multiplier sweep after sleep starting at 1140z
Sun morning.  worked one 2x (kh6) on 160, then five 2x on 80
(zl/ru0/kl7/ja/kh2) plus 4 more quick JAs.  Went to 40 and picked up zones
19/18/27.  Ended up with 16 mults, the sun was up and I had my adrenaline fix
for the high bands.  The 80 opening was very good.

Focused on 10 Sun morning to try and catch up (which you never can) and some
success but no real rate.  Finally gave up and went to 15 ~16z and had my best
hour of the contest, 107.  Only hour over 100.  After that run died, it was
basically a multiplier hunt fest for the afternoon.  20 wasn't really
productive Sunday for me.  It was unbelievable how the mults kept popping up.
I thought i did OK, but there are so many I missed - I guess that's what makes
it fun.  Ended up with no Scandinavian/Baltic on 10m or 80, 40/15 were light
there.

After the contest i looked at my rate sheet and realize i made more contacts on
the second day than the first.  I cannot recall that ever happening before.  I
had more on both 10 and 40 on day2, 80 was nearly split.

Only ran 326 Qs, balance was S&P.  no luck at all CQing on 40/80, limited
results on 20.  Ended up with 119 countries and 34 zones, missing
21/22/23/26/34/39.

I continue to be amazed at the skill of the operators out there, both in and
out of the US.  It's immensely disappointed how infrequently some of the CA
operators ID, especially when one sees that their peers(?) ID much more
frequently and make more contacts.  I finally gave up on one guy IDing and just
worked him.  Gave him a CL? and he didn't respond.  Turned out he was a dupe.
That just wasted a bunch of my time and some of his, too.

Again, it was a great, great time.

greg/na8v