[3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:09:58 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  461
   40:  458
   20:  416
   15:  107
   10:   20
------------

Club:

Comments:

I spent a few days before this contest working on the station to automate
antenna selection, add full SO2R capabilities and to upgrade my very old
version of Writelog. I made up cables for the SixPak and installed band
decoders that had been in a box for many years since moving. I also unpacked
the DX Doubler and connected it to both radios. Everything worked except I was
unable to switch the DX Doubler using the computer. This is a new computer with
a PCIe parallel port and nothing I tried seemed to work so I ordered a different
PCI parallel port card on Thursday and I had it shipped next day air. I spent
all Friday evening trying to get this new card to work but I was still
unsuccessful.  Writelog sees the port but I could not get the LPT port to do
anything. I woke up early on Saturday to install the Beverage antennas and by
the start of the contest everything was ready. I decided to try the new LP
Assisted category this year. Finding all of the multipliers was easy with the
spotting network.  I did have to chase VY1EI though several bands before I
could break his pileup and the rest of the sections were easily worked. I had
the sweep after 8 hours. Nearly all of my QSOs were evenly distributed between
20m , 40m sand 80m, which is unusual. Propagation to the west was excellent on
15m, I donâ??t understand why it produced so few contacts. I hoped to surpass
1500 QSOs this year however rates really dropped during the last 5 hours.
During this time I tried hitting the second radio hard looking for â??fresh
meatâ?? and also picked on cluster spots desperately trying to add QSOs to the
log. Shortly after the contest, I rolled up the beverage wires and coax feeding
them (before they got chewed up by rodents again) and then drove to Chicago with
the XYL for a lovely Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.
Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A