[3830] ARRL 160 KC0W Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KC0W Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 21:04:21 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KC0W
Operator(s): KC0W
Station: KC0W

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ND
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 577  Sections = 1  Countries = 5  Total Score = 1

Club:

Comments:

'

Had to go QRT Saturday night at 8 PM local time due to work commitments so I
was not able to put in a full effort. Work in the oil industry here in North
Dakota. Unfortunately oil does not stop flowing just because of radio contests.

 Great 160 propagation on Friday night. The JA's were BOOMING in on Saturday
morning before, during & well past grey line. Had quite the JA pileup going on.
Was able to put 56 JA's in the log with some being 5NN + 10. Never heard Korea,
China etc.........It's an honor to be able to hand out ND on 160 meters for our
Japanese friends who are working on Top Band WAS.

My 140' Rohn towers phased array for 160 meters came crashing down exactly 3
weeks ago today in an ice storm from hell. These antennas were 1/2 of the
future 4-square for 160 meters. I used the 2.5 mile ground system from the
destroyed towers & placed a quick 'n dirty inverted L over the radials. The
vertical section was 20' high with the rest of the wire being attached to a
nearby tower at the 45' mark. Seemed to perform remarkably well.

 Band was VERY crowded as you know. The K3's filter spent most of the contest
set at 60Hz. I have an Alpha 77sx in the arsenal here but did not use it. The
Achilles heal of 77sx's are 160 meters. Used the Acom 2000 which performed
flawlessly.

 Had a couple of guys from zero land trying to take my run freq. As usual I
commented "radio suicide" and made damn sure neither one of us were gonna make
any Q's for as long as they wanted the challenge. Immature of me? Well, of
course. Sorry for any missed calls during my 30 consecutive pushes of the F1
key, hihi!!!

 Huge turnout from stations in CA, MN, VA, NY & TX. Also nice hearing Alaska
and Hawaii being well represented on Top Band. I gave my fellow bovine friend,
AC0W, a "2 moo salute" in our exchange. Ended up working two fellow ND stations
who were operating S&P. You know the sledding was getting tuff Saturday night
when both W0SD and myself were wearing out our F1 keys trying to drum up some
business.

  Check out my QRZ.com page for the latest propaganda regarding the big
stations construction here. I heartily welcome ALL amateurs to western North
Dakota to stay & operate 100& free of charge upon completion of the
towers/antennas........Setbacks abound due to extensive damage from the big ice
storm though.

See ya next weekend in the 10 meter 'test. I LOVE contests where states are
multipliers. Best wishes to everyone from the nations #2 oil producing
state.........We are right on your a$$, Texas.

Tom KC0W

'