[3830] ARRL 160 N4GG M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, halken@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N4GG M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 05:58:17 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N4GG
Operator(s): N4GG
Station: N4GG

Class: M/S LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 7:14

Total:  QSOs = 446  Sections = 70  Countries = 4  Total Score = 66,896

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Not the normal station....mostly a test run for the rig(s) (K3's) and computer
network for an upcoming expedition.  Everything played fine; the network ran 48
hours straight on packet+skimmer without a glitch.  The neighbor next door just
bought a new TV.  Oh joy!  Testing before the contest, at 1KW I turn their new
TV off and on.  Very NG at 3AM and no time to carry a pound of ferrite next
door.  So I ran it all LP.  Life is too short for LP on 160.  Bands sounded
noisy here both nights although worse the first night.  Missed a lot of CA
mults despite usually being able to work everything on the band.  This is my
first skimmer+RBN experience on 160.  You see everything on the band and one
thing I noticed is a lot of West Coast and East Coast stns on the same QRG.
Skimmer can really suck you into dupes via busted spotting.  I watched my own
spots - the skimmers out there seem to like "N4GG."  There are some otherwise
nice calls that are now problematic due to consistent busted skimmer spots.
Never thought we would be picking signals based on what machines can copy.
This is progress?
That's probably it for this year, although maybe a little action on 10M.  QSY
to XMAS then to the FL QTH for a few months.  TNX for the Qs.  2012 was a good
contest year.  Nobody sick, nothing blew up or fell down and the FTdx5000 was a
nice addition to the shack.

This outing: K3 loaner, "The too tall too short vertical" wire in the woods on
TX, K9AY on RX, WRITELOG.  The usual dual rig diversity and other low band
goodies here were all turned off.  Even at 100W I felt like an alligator - the
TX antenna really works well, the RX goodies were sorely missed.