[3830] ARRL 160 K4LY Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K4LY Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 09:44:26 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 15

Total:  QSOs = 430  Sections = 70  Countries = 11  Total Score = 73,333

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

When my neighbor drove by and saw me standing on top of the one 64' tower
holding a long bamboo pole, he asked if I were going tightrope walk across to
the other 64' tower!  He meant on my 40M dipole.  I said "of course- it sure
beats going down the tower and climbing up the other!"  Actually, it was part
of my autumn ritual of of cutting a long bamboo pole about 1 1/2 miles from the
house and walking it up the hill to home and up the tower and elevating the top
of my inverted L from it's usualy 60' position to over 90.'  That, the laying
down of 28 seasonal radials in my yard, and construction of a new KAZ receiving
antenna completed my prep.  Good preparation- poor execution.  The head cold
that limited my CQWW 40M effort to about half effort did the same thing for the
160M test. With a CW exasperated, head cold headache, I got cold feet-
literally- and a blacket didn't warm them, so I went to bed at 10 PM Friday
night and got up past sunrise to work AK, but the normally easier to work HI
stations CQed in my face. A couple of JAs heard at ESP level.  With my
competitive effort kaput, I just played around Saturday night off and on until
10:30 PM working 3 loud Europeans who were being badly QRMed by unethical NA
CQing in the DX window.  Remember when 160M was the gentleman's band? Since LP
stations don't usually get called by DX, it's important for them to have a DX
window even if it doesn't make any difference for the big guns. It would also
probably increase DX participation!  To bed at 10:30 PM and up at 3:30 AM,
actually feeling pretty good.  No HI heard (where were they?), but I worked a
few of the west coast mults. Just did one productive 90 minute run, but no MS
or KS called so missed those easy ones and a bunch of others.  My rotor's broke
so no 10M test, but see you in the Stew Perry using the faithful, old TS-850 at
100 watts, about 2 db down from working some stations that were very patient,
but never got my complete call.