[3830] ARRL 160 W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 23:29:09 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 616  Sections = 66  Countries = 6  Total Score = 90,000

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

A part-time effort remote from my Tokyo apartment.  I operated for the first
2:48 (240 contacts) and then had to QRT to pick up overseas visitors at the
airport.  Got back on at 0200 on the next day (Sunday at 11 AM Tokyo time) and
operated on and off for 7 more hours until my bed time.  The good thing about
operating this contest remote from Japan is that I can operate during the day
and don't have to mess up my body clock, which is already pretty messed up
anyhow.

The antenna is a full-sized dipole but only up about 40 feet.  For several
hours the remote was sputtering quite often causing me to miss a letter or two
of stations calling, requiring me to ask for a lot of repeats.  Also, the
TS-480, which is the most commonly used radio for remote work, is pretty poor
on 160 and I suffered with a lot of intermod and overloading.  But better this
than no radio at all, and I had a lot of fun with good rates, very quiet bands
and lots of activity.

Hoping to put in more time in the Stu Perry TBDC on Dec 29.  No skimmers and
packet make it more like a real radio contest.

73, Hal