[3830] ARRL 160 WF7T M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brad.wf7t@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WF7T M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:58:23 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WF7T
Operator(s): WF7T
Station: WF7T

Class: M/S LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 251  Sections = 54  Countries = 3  Total Score = 27,270

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Tough going here with my little pipsqueak of a signal. My RX loop was showing
promise but still deficient in that I could not rotate the thing. After EU
sunrise I would run outside and turn the thing to the NW. The effort was
fruitless as KL7RA and KH7X still elude me.

My work and social schedule has been aggressively against radio contesting this
year. Even if I had it in me--which I do not at the moment--I could not make the
time for a full effort. As it is, the 9 hours I was able to find beat the snot
out of me. Nothing about top band is easy, is it?

I put up an inverted U as a dedicated 160 antenna at the start of last year's
summer session of NCCC Thursday Night Sprints. I was using my G5RV as a Marconi
for 160 and it seemed to work pretty well. The lash-up hindered me since it was
my only 80M antenna as well. While adequate to squeeze a few Qs at the end of
the wild half hour that is the Thursday Night Sprint, my Inverted U just
doesn't really play as well for DX. Back to the drawing board!

I was hearing very definite enhancement at my sunset, local midnight and
sunrise. It was nice for this greenhorn to have witnessed and understood what
the band experts have described. Along with the RX loop I have some great
take-aways from the outing.

TM6M was LOUD my sunrise on Sunday morning.

I was running shy of 100W and my thanks to those who could hear me and complete
the contact. Thanks also to all who tried but we were unable to complete. I
broke down someplace during the test and peaked at the RBN to see if I was
getting out (I was barely). I looked at the spotting network on off-times to
look for AK and HI (my last two states needed). As such, my entry is M/S low
power.

As always, it was great to work friends near and DX. Until the next one!

73 Brad WF7T
Nashville, TN

---

IC7600 @ 100W, IC756P2