[3830] ARRL 160 WD5COV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wd5cov@vtc.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WD5COV Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:55:46 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WD5COV
Operator(s): WD5COV
Station: WD5COV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 975  Sections = 78  Countries = 18  Total Score = 220,320

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

A Bitter-Sweet Contest for me. Last year on contest day, instead of being
excited to test out the new receive antennas, I was in Alamogordo, NM at my
Fathers (WA5IPS) bedside. I had to make that tough decision to remove him from
life support. He became ill very sudden caused by one of the heart medications
he was using. He passed peacefully at 5PM December 3rd, 2011. I will always
remember the contest I never entered the most!

This years contest was fun. Good to see short EU openings and condx to JA were
pretty good. I had to resort to "manual keying" for the entire contest. What no
keyboard. Always seem to have one problem pop up you know. Oh well it slowed me
down a bit and tired me out faster but we hung in there.

Otherwise all the antennas and rig worked great. I played with both receivers
in the FT1000MP at the same time. It requires fine balance of both AF gain
settings, but when I could search in the "window" for mults it paid off.

CU all next year.

73
Dave WD5COV