[3830] ARRL 10 KE3X M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenlow7@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 KE3X M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:17:24 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X, N8HM
Station: KE3X

Class: M/S HP
QTH: DC
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   CW:  394    71
  SSB:  195    54
-------------------
Total:  589   125  Total Score = 245,750

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Paul N8HM for coming over Saturday and putting the 'DC Mult' on
the air on SSB when I was hosting a birthday party for my 7-year old son Connor
and 20 of his First Grade friends.   Paul's comments follow - 73,

Ken KE3X

After operating in the 10m RTTY contest from my apartment station last weekend
and seeing the solar flux and sunspot number continue to drop, I was starting
to dread the thought of operating in this contest from home with 100 watts and
a magnetic loop.

When Ken invited me to come and operate on Saturday, I jumped at the
opportunity to have a kilowatt, a beam, and a rare multiplier at my disposal.
Unfortunately, my visions of pileups never emerged. I never heard any EU, but
was happy to work a JA that was about 55 on long-path and peaking at about 210
degrees on the beam.

Very little DX was heard the rest of the day. Worked a P4, but very few
Carribeans or South Americans. Though many PYs were spotted, I never heard any.
I was happy to find an LU and a CE later in the afternoon.

Most of my time was spent running or, rather, attempting to run, but I went
many stretches with no callers for several minutes at a time. A good number of
those that did call were locals in VA and MD. I was happy to have a ZL and a VK
call later in the afternoon.

If not for the high XE activity and XE state multipliers, this contest would
have been very dull indeed. So far 2011 has been the only decent 10m contest of
this cycle, let's hope there is one more left in it next year.

73,

Paul, N8HM