[3830] ARRL 10 N8XX SO CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N8XX SO CW QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 17:07:34 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 5.5

   CW:  83     31
  SSB:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  83     31  Total Score = 10,292

Club: Lowell Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

SO CW, QRP. Ancient Drake TR-5 rig, LDG Z-100 tuner, 130' inverted vee @ 28' at
apex, 10' on ends, fed with 400 ohm window line. Power measured with a recently
calibrated Heath QRP tuner.  Nothing like Paul's K3 and 500 watt amp, but it's
fun working even some DX and beating the pileup with a "mighty five watts.)

Had other things going this weekend - 5½ hours operating.

Missed a BIG opening around 0000Z Sunday (7 p.m. Saturday evening EST)
according to the scuttlebutt on the reflectors, but enjoyed a great amateur
actors' production of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" at a local theatre.

Band was "fair to middlin'" during 1800Z to about 2200Z Saturday, dead when I
got home around 0300Z Sunday.  Started up about about 1800Z Sunday, fair to
middlin' again until about 2150Z when I started hearing a few east coast
stations. Worked in order, KH7Y HI (he was within hearing only about 10
minutes, I was lucky), N9NC NH,  K1LZ  MA, VY2ZM PEI , K1BG MA, W1XX RI. VE9HF
NB, W2ID NJ, KD4D MD. (Worked him twice, because he insisted is was MN instead
of MI the first time - he was having trouble copying, so I waited until his
signal came up and duped him),  N2MM NJ, W3BGN PA, N5RZ TX, K1WHS ME, K4LO FL,
K4ZGB AL, K4QD FL (and two or three other Florididia stations - they became
very ubiquitous), K4FX NC, VE9AA NB, (yes another VE9 just for the fish -
halibut), KN5O LA.  All within about 30 minutes.

Otherwise, many, many W7's and W6's, and VE7's.  They occupied probably 50% of
the log until 2200Z Sunday.

It was fun, fun, fun!