[3830] ARRL 10 W9XT SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W9XT SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 06:19:31 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W9XT
Operator(s): W9XT
Station: W9XT

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  432    85
  SSB:  250    64
-------------------
Total:  682   149  Total Score = 331,972

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This is my favorite contest, but this long stretch of bad conditions is getting
old.  The solar flux dropped about 40 points from CQWW phone where I did a
single band 10M and worked nearly 1200 stations, roughly twice my QSO count
this weekend. In that one I only had one mode and could not work US stations
for points. Fortunately there was enough Es to keep things interesting. In
between I made some progress on the new Tom Clancy novel while the keyer banged
out CQs.

The A3 tribander on the tower away from the house has some problem when I run
high power. It is much quieter than the TH7 next to the house, and  I would
have missed a lot of weak stations without it. For that reason I went low power
mixed mode.  I don't think I ever went low power in this contest before.  At
times it didn't seem to matter, and other times I felt I was banging my head on
the wall.

The DX highlights were working FH8PL on Saturday morning. Sunday morning I
heard an XV long path but there was no hope of breaking the big pile up on him.
Later, about  17:00 I had the beam west trying to pick up some W0 states for
multipliers and heard A45XR. Great! A good multiplier. I turned the beam east
and he disappeared. I turned it back west and the signal went up.  I don't
recall working that part of the world LP on 10 before