[3830] ARRL 10 N8II SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N8II SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 11:33:46 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  700   104
  SSB: 1001    89
-------------------
Total: 1701   193  Total Score = 936,002

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

All in all, one of my favorite 10M contests of all, I have not missed too many,
Hi! After so many tries, I think I have the strategies worked out pretty well
by now; the runs were some of the best ever into the west coast. The black hole
in the Midwest was a little bit brighter from my persprective with lots of
sporadic E openings especially Friday and Saturday evenings to liven things up
considerably. My QSO ttoals: MN - 65, WI - 41, MO -31, IA -26. There were some
deep SA stations at the start as well probably linked to here by Es as well and
the same occurred with huge signals from 22-2330Z Sunday.

Saturday was a dig them out type of morning with first F2 QSO a loud JH3 long
path, I did not work anything else LP south despite many CQ's/S&P. EU was very
marginal with EI, EA, EA6, F, and I being logged in very small numbers. My
first QSO was that N9 guy in MT with a little antenna hardware at 1456, but the
band did not open well until around 1645 or so when WA and VE6/7 stations
started booming in. A45 was worked LP around 1620. The opening gradually
expanded farther south to include CA, NV, and AZ, but AZ propagation was poor
at times despite working a total of 75 AZ Q's.

Sunday was nearly crazy good, except EU was worse than Saturday except for a
late ES to F2 opening to SW EU. Condtions were great to Asia LP which started
around 1245 with about 4 quick JA Q's on CW followed by no more. A BD7 was
logged at 1302, BV1 called at 1308, XV found at 1405, HS0 called at 1414 all
CW, HS0 called on phone at 1506, and 9V1 on CW at 1538. I had a great CW
bacscatter run in the 14Z hour (97 Q's) follwed by some nice scatter on phone
with needed states calling in. Trying to run the west was slow despite some
good signals until about 1715 when I started a very long run of mainly CA, OR,
and WA on phone, even the weak ones were easily workable on completely clear to
nearly clear frequencies. Conditions were substantially better than Saturday
with day 2 Q's of 951, day 1 of 750. When the west coast died out around 2240,
I S&P a few minutes to find loud KP4's and deep SA's. I actually had about 15
minute run of SA stations nearly one after the other. Then around 2315 the Es
spread to the SE USA where I had made very few Q's, last hour was 85 Q's!
Sations as close as NC were worked on Es and SC called in for the last mult of
the lower 48 on both modes. I made WAS on CW, missed only AK on phone, but did
get two VE8's there. I never heard VO1/2 or VE4, worked only 1 loud VE5 and
only one ND (moved for mults on other mode).

Best rates were nothing great, both in the 18Z hours with 112 Sat and 105
Sunday. Many thanks for all of the calls. Many inexperienced ops called me
during a QSO. It is best to listen for a moment until you are sure a QSO is not
in progress before dumping in your call. Also, please do not call when another
is being called or a partial call fill which is not yours is requested. Highest
Q's by state/DXCC: CA - 268! (much better condtions than last year) WA -123, VA
- 89 (mostly locals), AZ -75, OR -67, MD - 59 (locals), PA -42, LU - 42, IL
-38, PY - 37. Despite some Saturday struggles, this WAS fun! See you again next
year. If I improve my station, I could be dangerous.