[3830] ARRL 10 NM2O(@W2FU) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NM2O(@W2FU) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:59:28 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NM2O
Operator(s): NM2O
Station: W2FU

Class: M/S HP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 6

   CW:   95
  SSB:  140
-------------------
Total:  235    60  Total Score = 42,900

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Thanks to Jeff for the use of the station. Conditions were not so great, but
having the high antennas helped work what was there.

I had time for one day, so I picked Saturday. The conditions sounded quite
suppressed. I kept checking WWV numbers for an expected K index of 3 or 4.
It was interesting to see that the K was actually 0 or 1.

It seems that the solar flux of 100 and totally quiet geomagnetic resulted in
the so-so conditions on Saturday. I had a few bursts of WA, OR and NV. I never
knew there were so many in NV. The band did not really open to CA for me. I was
spotted and old buddy K3EST called in. He was not especially loud, but the band
opened and he went to town with East Coast that I could not hear. I could not
get anything going to CA at the same time. 2400 miles from Rochester is in the
ocean, off the west coast. Not much out there.

I listened from home on Sunday, and the band sounded "normal." So, "quite a
difference" between the days. There was a bit more GEO activity on Sunday. This
may be the subject for more observation and discussion. Perhaps "best
conditions" are actually slightly active GEO conditions. It sure helps
backscatter.

Best DX was the FH8 just CQing on CW with no callers. He was worked around 1400
along with ZS and D3. Sounded like normal 10 M conditions, but that proved not
to be the case. There was a ton of EU to EU spots. I did not hear anyone north
of D4.

Owner Jeff and I did a bunch of antenna comparisons and resolved an antenna
selection issue. So, we're ready for the next time. More flux would be great.

73, Ray