[3830] TBDC NQ6N(@K8MJZ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, matt@nq6n.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC NQ6N(@K8MJZ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 08:29:40 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: NQ6N
Operator(s): NQ6N
Station: K8MJZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EN72
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 388  Total Score = 1

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Back in Michigan for the holidays, got a chance to operate from the station of
Stan, K8MJZ.

I had to take a few hours off in the prime rate hours b/c my 2.5 year old
daughter got a stomach bug.  After the interruption I resumed and operated
through the EU sunrise and then calling it a night.  Had a tiny "run" of EU
callers (two in a row).

The EU stations I worked were mostly fairly easy to work, but there appeared to
be another layer of stations that were too far below the noise to pull out.  It
is always surprising to me how much the S/N ratio can be improved by adding the
K3's attenuator, backing of the RF gain, and using a 150Hz filter.  The K3's
Noise Blanker was not helpful at all (usually it's very helpful).

I learned a lot and look forward to future Stews.

Station:  K3, Alpha 87A, Inverted Vee with apex at 100'