[3830] TBDC N2IC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N2IC Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:32:05 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

Total:  QSOs = 519  Total Score = 2,557

Club:

Comments:

I have been on 160 most every night and morning this month. Except for a few
good nights and mornings, conditions have been pretty much punk to EU and JA.
Unfortunately, this was again the case for the Stew Perry.

I recently took down my web of interacting 160 meter wires, and went back to
basics with shunt-feeding the 110 foot tower, which is loaded with several
yagis. Still working issues with common-mode heating of the 80 meter baluns, so
I completely disconnected those antennas to give the shunt-fed tower a fair
chance. I'm happy to report that all that 160 meter RF did not seem to hurt the
baluns on the yagis. While these mediocre conditions make it hard to evaluate an
antenna, it seems to be transmitting as well as the previous wires.

Only 5 EU stations worked (out of only 6 heard !). 4 of them called me, which
is a good indication that I'm being heard. Only 9 JA's, but I slept from
08Z-12Z. The best openings always happen when you're asleep, right ? No sunrise
enhancement whatsoever. Best DX was VK6GX. Sorry it took so long for me to pull
out your call. No beverage in that direction.

On the bright side, the band was quiet all night, in all directions. Seemed
like I could hear a pin drop on the beverages.

Thanks for all the QSO's. Be sure to tell everyone how much fun the Stew Perry
is. We could use plenty more QRM next year !

73,
Steve